The second round of competition is now under way for the second annual ACCP Clinical Research Challenge (CRC). Research and scholarship contributes to improved health outcomes for patients and advances in the profession of clinical pharmacy. Critically evaluating and applying primary literature is an essential skill for students pursuing a career in clinical pharmacy.
This innovative and unique competition offers teams of three students (those in the first two professional years of their degree program) the opportunity to compete and advance through three rounds of competition. The competition began February 6 with 82 teams participating in round 1: Online Journal Club. The Online Journal Club examination was based on the following literature:
- Price D, Musgrave SD, Shepstone L, et al. Leukotriene antagonists as first-line or add-on asthma-controller therapy. N Engl J Med 2011;364:1695-707.
- Supplement to: Price D, Musgrave SD, Shepstone L, et al. Leukotriene antagonists as first-line or add-on asthma-controller therapy. N Engl J Med 2011;364:1695-707.
Teams achieving the top 40 scores in round 1 advanced to round 2: Letter of Intent (LOI) submission. These teams were given a clinically focused research question and had 2½ weeks to develop and submit a letter of intent following the criteria outlined here. The LOI submissions were due February 24 and are presently being evaluated by the CRC Review and Oversight panels. Teams advancing to round 3: Research Protocol Development will be announced March 17. To view a list of teams participating in each round of the competition, please click here.
Please join ACCP in recognizing and thanking the members of the CRC Review and Oversight panels for their contributions and service to the College in advancing this important program for ACCP student members.
2017 CRC Oversight Panel
- Beth Phillips, Pharm.D., FCCP, BCPS (Oversight Panel chair)
- Sandra Benavides, Pharm.D., FCCP
- Lori Dickerson, Pharm.D., FCCP
- Doug Fish, Pharm.D., FCCP, BCPS-AQ ID
- Anne Hume, Pharm.D., FCCP, BCPS
- Asad Patanwala, Pharm.D., FCCP, BCPS
2017 CRC Review Panel
- Brooke Bautista, Pharm.D., BCPS
- Jeff Bishop, Pharm.D., M.S., FCCP, BCPP
- Kyle Burghardt, Pharm.D.
- Jennifer Cocohoba, Pharm.D., BCPS
- Mike Ernst, Pharm.D., FCCP, BCPS
- Stuart Haines, Pharm.D., FCCP, BCPS, BCACP
- Irene La-Beck, Pharm.D.
- Charlie Leonard, Pharm.D., MSCE
- Rob MacLaren, Pharm.D., FCCP, FCCM
- Scott Micek, Pharm.D., FCCP, BCPS
- Tien Ng, Pharm.D., FCCP, BCPS
- Tiffany Pon, Pharm.D., BCPS
- Nancy Shapiro, Pharm.D., FCCP, BCACP
- James Tisdale, Pharm.D., FCCP, BCPS
- Joe Vande Griend, Pharm.D., FCCP, BCPS
For complete information on the CRC, visit www.accp.com/stunet/crc/eligibility.aspx.