Edited by John E. Murphy, Pharm.D., FCCP, FASHP
ACCP’s Resident Survival Guide, written by Dr. John Murphy and a team of experienced clinical faculty and preceptors, offers clinical pharmacy residents a valuable roadmap for negotiating their residency experience.
Students who make the momentous decision to seek a residency will find this important choice will open up many opportunities and present many challenges. Throughout their residency programs, ambitious students transition into superbly skilled and licensed
professionals. They are able to take advantage of the opportunities to acquire knowledge while also confronting heavy workloads, patient care responsibilities, challenging assignments, and demands on their time from preceptors, team members, and students.
The Resident Survival Guide has been developed to assist residents in meeting these challenges and taking advantage of these opportunities. The cadre of experienced authors—leaders in the clinical pharmacy profession—offer potential and current clinical
pharmacy residents insights and advice for understanding and learning to manage the challenges they face while gaining the most lifelong advantages from their residency experience.
Chapters in the Resident Survival Guide include:
- Finding a Quality Training Program
- Changing Your Perspective: Transitioning from Student to Practitioner
- What to Expect: Navigating New Professional Territory
- Clinical Practice: Taking Responsibility for Patient Care
- Teaching and Precepting: Assuming the Role of an Educator
- Research: Becoming a Scholar
- Balancing Professional and Personal Priorities
- After Residency: Determining Career Direction
- Professional Networking and Career Advancement
- Lifelong Learning as a Professional Obligation
Each chapter includes a reflective essay written by a pharmacy resident – giving a personal account of what to expect from the residency experience.
- Jannet M. Carmichael, Pharm.D., FCCP, FAPhA, BCPS
- David L. DeRemer, Pharm.D., BCOP
- Janet P. Engle, Pharm.D., FAPhA
- Brian L. Erstad, Pharm.D., FCCP, BCPS
- Susan C. Fagan, Pharm.D., FCCP, BCPS
- Curtis E. Haas, Pharm.D., FCCP, BCPS
- Stuart T. Haines, Pharm.D., FCCP, BCPS
- Mary Lee, Pharm.D., FCCP, BCPS
- Kalen B. Manasco, Pharm.D., BCPS
- John E. Murphy, Pharm.D., FCCP, FASHP
- Asad E. Patanwala, Pharm.D., BCPS
- Kelly M. Smith, Pharm.D., FCCP, FASHP, BCPS
- Rachel C. Stratman, Pharm.D., BCPS
ISBN: 978-1-932658-82-8; 2011; 142 pages; softbound
|Resident Survival Guide